100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
Citymeals on Wheels provides a continuous lifeline of nourishing meals and vital companionship to nearly 20,000 homebound elderly New Yorkers, helping them live with dignity in their own homes and communities. Since 1981, Citymeals has delivered more than 67 million meals to our older neighbors in need.
Citymeals is seeking an experienced writer to lead storytelling and editorial efforts for print and online platforms. This position is part of a growing Marketing & Communications team and reports to the Director. As the manager for editorial communications, you will work proactively across the organization to mine, develop and produce content and stories with the goal of raising the visibility of Citymeals, our mission and those we serve.
Citymeals is working on a hybrid schedule. Employees are required to be in our Midtown Manhattan office one day a week plus an additional four days each month. Days may vary due to business needs.
All new employees must be fully vaccinated.
- As lead writer, manage print and online storytelling that champions Citymeals’ mission, programs and the homebound elderly New Yorkers we serve. Ensure clear and consistent messaging, style and editorial standards
- Maintain and facilitate consistent organizational usage of the Citymeals’ style guide and identity guidelines
- Lead the development of editorial assets and a pipeline of compelling stories. This requires handling all outreach to meal recipients and conducting in-home interviews on a regular basis. Adapt interviews into compelling profiles, stories and other content
- Develop and manage a story bank and work with the fundraising team on how editorial assets are used in print and online campaigns
- Help build the organization’s photo assets, capture images yourself, manage the work of professional photographers as needed and help manage the organization’s photo archive
- Lead development of marketing materials including fact sheets, brochures and annual report
- Perform special projects or assignments as required
- Manage freelancers and consultants as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent experience) and minimum five years previous experience in journalism, nonprofit marketing or a related field in which writing and editorial work are primary responsibilities
- A love for writing and editing in service of a mission-driven organization and its audiences; able to translate interviews and data into compelling content for key audiences across varied communications platforms
- Mature, adaptable, resourceful and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external working relationships and partnerships with a variety of people
- Previous production experience and basic photography skills are a plus
Compensation and Benefits
There are many excellent benefits to a career at Citymeals. In addition to having a positive impact on the lives of older New Yorkers, Citymeals offers:
- A stimulating, diverse and team-based work environment
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; 403(b) with employer match; as well as generous paid time off
- Salary range for this position is $60,000 - $75,000, plus an annual discretionary bonus based on organizational and individual success
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Manager, Editorial Communications in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email. Citymeals conducts reference and background checks for finalists. Citymeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.