100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
From Chef Juan Peña
A note from Chef Juan Peña: The beet, often harvested during the summer, also fairs well in colder temperatures and makes for a lovely addition to the plate in late summer or early fall. I love the pop of color this salad brings to any tabletop and how easy it is to prepare. The bright, sweet, and fresh flavors complement this aromatic dish, perfect for this time of year and pairing well with almost any meal!
- 5 golden beets
- 4 red beets
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander (1 teaspoon ground coriander)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin (1/2 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 2 star anise
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
CANDY PECANS INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt per plate
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 6 leaves of cilantro, Italian parsley and chervil, roughly chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and peel the beets.
2. Combine all beet ingredients in a covered dish in the oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Afterwards, combine all candy pecan ingredients, spread out on a pan, and bake at 315 degrees for 10 minutes, or until golden.
4. Cut the beets into wedges and combine with pecans and remaining salad ingredients, reserving the Greek yogurt.
5. To serve, spread the yogurt in a rough circle on each plate. Assemble the salad ingredients on top.