100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
From Salvatore LoBuglio
Recipe Serves: 24
A note from the baker:
Fall is one of our favorite seasons and we love that we are able to combine two of our favorite things – pumpkin and cupcakes. The maple cream cheese frosting allows us to elevate this classic flavor and give it our own spin. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/4 sticks room temperature butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Maple cream cheese frosting ingredients:
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Make the cupcake batter. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs, working one at a time, making sure each egg is mixed in completely before adding the next egg. Add the pumpkin purée and vanilla bean paste and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds, starting with the flour mixture and alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each paper liner until two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes until the cupcakes are brown and spring back to the touch, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Make the maple cream cheese frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and cream cheese until soft and combined, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla bean paste, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes using a small knife or offset spatula. Alternatively, fill a piping bag with the frosting and swirl on the cupcakes.