From Silvana Vivoli
A Note from Silvana:
This is a different way to taste an egg cream custard. With the fresh taste and the light touch of bitter given by the oranges, it is beautiful because nothing is thrown away. Everything is used. No waste! And if you don't have the gelato machine, put the mix in a flat container in the freezer and stir it occasionally until it is completely frozen.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 10 eggs
- 1 pound plus 2 ounces white cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 organic oranges
- Break the eggs and beat with sugar and salt and a little milk.
- Boil the remaining milk. Add the egg mixture and cook again until it thickens.
- Put in a bowl and let cool.
- Wash and peel the oranges, and cut the peels into small strips.
- Juice the oranges then cook the orange peels in a saucepan with the juice, 1 ounce of sugar and a little water.
- When the candied peel is cooked and soft, set aside a little for the final decoration, then combine with the egg mixture.
- Pour the mix into the gelato machine.
Serve the gelato in an iced cup and decorate with the rest of the candied peel.