From Chef Maria Loi
Recipe Serves: 8 to 10
A Note from Chef Loi:
Hearty and comforting, this stew can be found with slight variations all over the Mediterranean. I love this version because you can really taste how all the ingredients come together to create a unified, one-pot meal. If you like, serve with some crusty multigrain bread to soak up the delicious sauce!
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 whole chicken (3 pounds), cut into eight pieces
- 3 medium eggplants, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the tomato paste in the chicken stock.
- In a large baking pan, combine the chicken, eggplant, bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the tomato paste mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and golden, another 30 minutes.
- Serve with yogurt.