100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
From Chef Charlie palmer
a note from chef palmer:
This delectable dish is a fan favorite at Charlie Palmer Steak locations across the country. It makes for a rich and satisfying side dish that will have everyone asking for seconds.
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 3 lbs spinach, washed and de-stemmed
- 1/2 cup shaved garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp shaved garlic
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
1. Set aside one 10x7 inch oval dish or three 5x3 inch oval cast iron dishes.
2. For breadcrumbs, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and thyme, and stir until breadcrumbs turn golden brown. Then remove from heat, stir in Pecorino, transfer to a bowl, and let it sit at room temperature.
3. For spinach, melt butter and oil in a large dutch oven. Add garlic, stir until garlic is golden brown, add spinach, season with salt and pepper, and stir until spinach is wilted. Transfer the spinach to a perforated pan or colander, and put something heavy on top until all the liquid is drained from the spinach.
4. For cream sauce, melt butter and add onion and garlic over medium heat, cooking until they just start to change colors. Add flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it turns brown. Whisk in cream and keep stirring until it thickens and there are no more lumps (probably 5-7 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in Gruyère until it is combined, but it does not have to be completely melted.
5. To combine, add drained spinach into cream sauce and mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper. Transfer to dish or dishes you will bake it in, and liberally sprinkle top with breadcrumb/thyme/Pecorino mixture.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes, or until top is golden brown.