100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
Citymeals on Wheels provides a continuous lifeline of nourishing meals and vital companionship to nearly 20,000 homebound elderly New Yorkers, helping them live with dignity in their homes and communities. Since 1981, Citymeals has delivered more than 65 million meals to our aged neighbors in need.
Citymeals has been working on the frontlines of the Covid-19 crisis as an emergency responder ensuring the city’s most vulnerable population remains nourished. We have delivered more than 4 million weekend, holiday and emergency meals since the start of the pandemic.
Thanks to the generosity of our Board of Directors, the City of New York, sponsors and other designated gifts, 100% of all public donations are used entirely for the preparation and delivery of meals.
The Senior Vice President for Development will be the strategic and organizational leader for staff and programs in major gifts, marketing and communications (including direct mail), events and partnerships, and database/development operations. They will be responsible for driving the creation and implementation of best-in-class systems that ensure the organization is able to capitalize on and sustain a significant increase in donors and dollars raised during the pandemic. The SVP will report to teh Executive Director and work closely with the board to ensure they have the direction and support to be effective fundraising partners. Finally, the SVP will carry a portfolio of donors and be responsible for engaging with them for maximum philanthropic impact.
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the executive director, the senior vice president for development will be an experienced frontline fundraiser, a proven manager and team builder, and an effective communicator with the ability to catalyze staff and board members to reach ambitious annual and long-term fundraising and stakeholder engagement goals.
The senior vice president for development oversees a budget of $5.6M and a team of 16 full-time employees.
- Lead, manage and inspire development and communications team members, ensuring their primary activities are aligned with overall departmental and organizational goals.
- Develop and oversee branding/advertising and community outreach strategies aimed at elevating awareness of Citymeal’s mission with a goal of driving donor engagement.
- Develop best-in-class structures and processes that streamline work, maximize efficiencies, support effective data collection and analysis, and ensure that the program is sustainable regardless of who is serving in specific positions.
- Provide leadership, direction, inspiration, and creativity for the entire range of development activities including major gift cultivation, annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation support, and special events.
- Ensure that the organization develops strong long-term relationships with significant individual, foundation, and corporate funders. Personally build, cultivate, solicit, and steward key relationships to ensure the achievement of development goals.
- Build strong relationships with current board members and support them, the executive director, other fundraising volunteers, and staff in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting charitable gifts.
- Assess the strengths of the current development program; recommend and implement changes in strategy and tactics to increase productivity, efficiency, and fundraising results.
- Ensure smooth and transparent internal communication at all levels of the organization.
The senior vice president will be a seasoned, dynamic, inspirational leader and manager with excellent fundraising, communications, and critical thinking skills. In addition, they will be an innovative, creative thinker with a collaborative work style who can conceive of interesting and appropriate ways for the public to engage with Citymeals. Specifically, the ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrated track record of leading and building an innovative, strategic, data-informed development program.
- Knowledge of effective marketing and communications strategies; experience partnering with a strong communications leader.
- Experience building strong relationships with a portfolio of significant donors across all revenue categories.
- Excellent team leadership and management skills with an ability to inspire, encourage, and assist team members in reaching ambitious development goals while fostering support and collaboration across all other departments.
- A sincere interest in working with a diverse clientele and diverse workforce.
- Technological savvy and experience with databases, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Knowledge of the NYC philanthropic, business, and social communities.
- A minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a senior development position.
- BA or BS required.
- Experience in or significant knowledge of the nonprofit sector highly preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume as one PDF to CMWSVP@pbrsearch.com with title format “Last Name First Name – Letter Resume”.
Citymeals on Wheels is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Citymeals on Wheels will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.