100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
Citymeals on Wheels provides a continuous lifeline of nourishing meals and vital companionship to nearly 20,000 homebound elderly New Yorkers, helping them live with dignity in their own homes and communities. Since 1981, Citymeals has delivered more than 65 million meals to our aged neighbors in need.
Citymeals has been working on the frontlines of the Covid-19 crisis as an emergency responder ensuring the city’s most vulnerable population remains nourished. We have delivered more than 4 million weekend, holiday and emergency meals since the start of the pandemic. For additional information, please, visit www.citymeals.org.
Thanks to the generosity of our Board of Directors, the City of New York, sponsors and other designated gifts, 100% of all public donations are used entirely for the preparation and delivery of meals.
Citymeals is seeking a Program and Aging Initiatives Manager whose responsibilities include mentoring, guiding and supervising a team charged with the delivery of over 2 million meals a year through a network of community based organizations, as well as working closely with our distribution center which is responsible for a third of the meals delivered.
This person should be someone who has worked within the not-for-profit arena, specifically in aging or with other vulnerable populations. The position is also responsible for liaising with the NYC Department for the Aging, through the reporting of monthly and quarterly statistics as well as an annual site visit. Must be organized and efficient in order to keep monthly statistics and share them out organizationally as well as inputting them into an online database system.
The manager works closely with the Senior Director of Volunteer Programs to ensure open communication and collaboration with programs and volunteers. They will also be asked to work with local city government officials in deliveries and informational communication. This position must also work closely with other Managers and Directors internally in information sharing and communication about the programs and will work collaboratively with others in the aging sector as well as in the not-for-profit arena around vulnerable populations in NYC.
Staff is currently working predominantly remotely, with access to the office as needed. Upon further reopening, the Program Manager is to be based in our office in mid-town Manhattan. The position will oversee the program department and supervise the team which consists of a Senior Program Associate and a Program Assistant, and report to the Associate Executive Director, Chief Program Officer of Citymeals.
- Coordinating citywide network of meals-on-wheels and senior center programs funded by Citymeals on Wheels.
- Acts as liaison with local providers for the request of data, reimbursement of funds, and collection of monthly invoices, and maintain stats for Citymeals.
- Works collaboratively with the NYC Department for the Aging in providing both monthly and quarterly statistics and handling any issues that may arise, working closely with the Assistant Commissioner of Bureau of Community Services.
- Works with Citymeals’ warehouse to assure delivery of approximately 18,000 boxes four times a year in addition to emergency deliveries each month. As well as the delivery of an Emergency Food Package (EFP’s) and Passover boxes once a year.
- Supervises the Senior Program Associate and their responsibilities including ensuring site visits are made to each center annually and lends technical assistance and follow-up if necessary.
- Supervises the Program Assistant who in addition to doing site visits will also focus on our Mobile Food Pantry program which is served solely by volunteers and donations in specific communities in the city in collaboration with the warehouse.
- Works collaboratively with the Volunteer Department to ensure meals and/or boxes are delivered, and records are maintained for the program department regarding stats.
- Oversees department participation in health fairs and community fairs disseminating information on meals on wheels.
- Oversees the presentations at case management agencies and other facilities in order to educate and inform people about Citymeals on wheels and meals-on-wheels in general.
- Act as liaison with other aging, emergency, and hunger organizations throughout NYC, at meetings and in collaborative projects.
- Act as liaison with other departments regarding dissemination of programmatic stats and other noteworthy information, including assisting with the Chefs Deliver program and VIP meal deliveries like City Council members.
- Works on special projects that can be on-going.
- Have a minimum of five years experience within the not-for-profit sector.
- Candidate must have a BA, but MSW, MPH or MPA preferred.
- Bi-lingual Spanish also preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable about Microsoft suite of programs, especially Excel.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other database software is a plus.
- Must be organized, communicate well orally and in writing.
- Supervisory experience necessary.
- Must be willing to be outward facing representative of the organization with other agencies around the City, including visiting various sites around the boroughs.
- Weekend and holidays may be asked to work, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.
There are many excellent benefits to a career at Citymeals. In addition to having a positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of older New Yorkers in all five boroughs, Citymeals offers its staff a stimulating, diverse and team-based work environment with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) with company match, as well as generous paid time off. Aside from excellent benefits, we offer a competitive salary and annual bonuses based on organizational and individual success
At Citymeals, we enjoy working in a mission-oriented, can-do and value the benefits of a diverse workplace that embodies our tagline: Serving Good Daily.
If you want to make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of Elderly New Yorkers and the communities they live in, and if the position speaks to your capabilities, experience and commitment to our mission, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary requirements with Program Manager in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email. Citymeals conducts reference and background checks for finalists.
Citymeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.