100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
Citymeals on Wheels provides a continuous lifeline of nourishing meals and vital companionship to nearly 20,000 homebound elderly New Yorkers, helping them live with dignity in their own homes and communities. Since 1981, Citymeals has delivered more than 67 million meals to our aged neighbors in need.
Citymeals is seeking a Manager, Press & Communications to oversee the organization’s media, public relations and storytelling efforts. This position will manage a robust public relations and media strategy for Citymeals that builds awareness and support for our mission and the older New Yorkers we serve. Part of a growing Marketing & Communications team, this role requires working cross-functionally and reports to the Director of Marketing. The successful candidate will be a strong writer with previous experience in public relations or press work.
Citymeals is working on a hybrid schedule. Employees are required to be in our Midtown Manhattan office one day a week plus an additional four days each month. Days may vary due to business needs.
All new employees must be fully vaccinated.
- Develop and implement earned media/press strategies for Citymeals’ mission, programs and thought leadership
- Maintain and manage relationship with Citymeals’ PR firm of record; work with the team to develop and execute proactive press plans, pitches and angles to help advance Citymeals’ goals, raise its profile, and promote its mission
- Work with internal teams, including Programs, Advocacy and Events to explore, shape, support and execute their PR needs with various external audiences, including donors
- Coordinate, schedule and staff all press opps; engage community partners, meal recipients and volunteers in media work
- Draft and edit press releases, opinion pieces and other communications products for Citymeals
- Work with the Director to develop talking points, messaging and other tools and documents for media opportunities
- Track and archive Citymeals' earned media coverage
- Support the Marketing & Communication Department’s broader editorial and storytelling efforts including developing relationships with meal recipients, volunteers, and partners; conducting interviews, taking photographs and helping build the departments’ editorial assets
- Perform special projects or assignments as required
- Manage freelancers and consultants as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent experience) and minimum five years professional experience in journalism, public relations, communications, nonprofit marketing or a related field in which external editorial communications is a primary responsibility
- A passion for mission-driven work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Previous media relations or production experience a plus
- Proven strategic thinking abilities
- Capacity to think critically, assess and synthesize information; ability to collaborate with others and work independently, as needed
- Mature, adaptable, resourceful and detail-oriented, with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external working relationships and partnerships with a variety of people
- Must be available to staff press opportunities on weekends and major holidays for which Citymeals seeks event and program coverage
Compensation and Benefits
There are many excellent benefits to a career at Citymeals. In addition to having a positive impact on the lives of older New Yorkers, Citymeals offers:
- A stimulating, diverse and team-based work environment
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; 403(b) with employer match; as well as generous paid time off
- Salary range for this position is $60,000 - $75,000, plus an annual bonus based on organizational and individual success
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Manager, Press & Communications in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email. Citymeals conducts reference and background checks for finalists. Citymeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.