100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
Citymeals on Wheels provides a continuous lifeline of nourishing meals and vital companionship to homebound elderly New Yorkers in need, helping them to live with dignity in their own familiar homes and communities.
Citymeals on Wheels seeks a Director of Major Gifts to manage the Major Gifts department and a portfolio of individual and institutional donors. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Director will ensure the smooth operation of the Major Gifts Department and supervise two staff members – a Manager of Institutional Giving and a Major Gifts Associate – to ensure the timely submission of foundation, corporate and individual requests required to generate budgeted goals. The Director will manage relationships for a portfolio of individual and institutional major donors, implement new prospecting, cultivation and stewardship activities; implement the launch of a Planned Giving program, and other duties. The successful candidate will be a detail-oriented, motivated development/nonprofit professional with strong relationship building, supervisory and Raiser's Edge skills.
- Lead the operations of the Major Gifts department to ensure the timely submission of foundation, corporate and individual requests required to generate budgeted goals.
- Supervise, mentor and coach two staff members and provide professional development and growth opportunities.
- Manage relationships for a portfolio of individual and institutional major donors capable of giving five, six and seven-figure gifts; ensure the timely submission of annual solicitations, reports and other stewardship materials. Work closely with the VP of Development to develop individual strategies for major donors focused on cultivation and upgrades, including prompts for calls and communications from the Executive Director and board members.
- Oversee the development and submission of high-quality proposals, reports, budgets, case statements, acknowledgement letters, letters, invoices and other written materials; edit and write materials as needed. Work with Programs and other departments to track grant deliverables and with Finance to track grant expenses.
- Oversee estate gifts and planned giving. Monitor and track estate gifts and bequests, work with estate attorneys and executors on completion of required paperwork, and maintain all estate records.
- Mine Raiser's Edge using Target Analytics to identify prospective major donors and planned gifts prospects. Research, cultivate and solicit prospects with the goal of increasing the Major Gifts and Planned Giving pipelines.
- Work with Events Department to plan and execute annual receptions for major donors and planned giving society members for cultivation and recognition.
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Department to generate corporate volunteer opportunities and reach budgeted goals for Corporate Volunteer Program; oversee invoicing, tracking and coding.
- Ensure the consistency of data entry and data health of constituent records in Raisers Edge, and the coding of gifts.
- Direct annual budgeting process for Major Gifts department, including income projections. Monitor expenses and income throughout the year and provide updated forecasts.
- Work with the VP of Development on launching a new planned giving program, including the development and execution of marketing, recognition and annual events.
Skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) plus seven years of major gifts fundraising experience; both individual and institutional major gifts fundraising is a plus.
- Five years of supervisory experience required
- Excellent, demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships with clients with strong customer service orientation; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; highly motivated, creative thinker with proven ability to take a project from conceptualization to completion.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs and Raiser's Edge, with ability to develop queries, run reports and lists.
- Must be able to work some nights and weekends.
- Commitment to the mission of Citymeals on Wheels.
To apply: Please send cover letter with salary expectations, resume and one writing sample to jobs@citymeals. Include Director of Major Gifts in the subject line. No phone calls, please.