100% of your donation will be used for the preparation and delivery of meals, thanks to our partnership with the New York City Department for the Aging, along with gifts from our board of directors and others designated for administrative expenses.Donate Now
April 12, 2016
On Sunday, 222 generous New Yorkers gathered at Michael Jordan's The Steak House N.Y.C. to be honored for their service to Citymeals at our annual volunteer party. Each year, Citymeals celebrates the thousands of individuals who volunteer their time to provide meals and companionship to our homebound elderly neighbors.
In 2015, 15,465 volunteers provided 68,763 hours of service to Citymeals –13% more than last year! From delivering meals to visiting with our recipients, Citymeals volunteers are dedicated to improving the lives of New York’s most vulnerable population.
Citymeals volunteer opportunities include:
- Meal Deliveries: Delivering meals on foot within walking distance from local senior centers.
- Friendly Visiting: Pairing kindhearted individuals with homebound neighbors in need of company.
- Handmade Cards: Crafting handmade cards to deliver on holidays, birthdays and special occasions.
- Senior Chat: Contacting our isolated elderly over the phone to “visit” in a weekly call.
- Senior Script: Responding to mail from our meal recipients with warm personalized letters.
- Kitchen Helpers: Packaging and serving meals at local senior centers.
Citymeals Director of Volunteer Programs Vivienne O’Neill explained, “Volunteers are critical to the work we do. Without them, we wouldn’t be able to nourish 18,414 elderly New Yorkers. This is our way of saying thank you to all of the kindhearted people who are making time to ensure our most isolated neighbors aren’t going hungry. Our volunteers’ devotion and compassion goes so far beyond just meals. They provide companionship to people who would otherwise be forgotten. We are grateful for the impact they have on the lives of older New Yorkers.”
Special thanks also go to Michael Jordan's The Steak House N.Y.C. for hosting this year’s event.