Subscribe to Recipe of the Month
Join Citymeals' Recipe of the Month email list to receive monthly recipes from chefs from around New York City! Sign up to receive Recipe of the Month emails now!
Visit the Recipe of the Month Archives
this month's recipe:
Farm girl salad
Recipe Serves: One
Photo credit: Tanya Blum
A Note from Chef Samuelsson:
This salad for one is a great base for any seasonal lunch. While this version has green beans and winter greens, you can really add any seasonal veggie to the mix depending on the offerings at your farmers' market. The coconut lime vinaigrette lends itself well with the heartiness of the greens, but its tropical flavor reminds you that warmer weather is just around the corner.
- 3 ounces black kale
- 4 ounces romaine lettuce
- 1 ounce green beans, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, chopped
- 1 ounce coconut lime dressing
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and clean greens under running water.
- Remove ribs from kale and discard, then thinly slice kale.
- Cut romaine into 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Salt water and bring to a boil. Place greens beans in water and cook until tender.
- Remove green beans and cool.
- Place kale, romaine, green beans, and peanuts in a bowl. Add dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.
- 4 ounces coconut cream
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 3.5 ounces grapeseed oil
- 0.2 ounces Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces honey
- 1.5 ounces hot sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender except extra virgin olive oil and grapeseed oil.
- Use medium speed in blender and slowly add oils to emulsify.