Subscribe to Recipe of the Month
chicharrones de carrito
By: Chef Mario Hernandez of The Black Ant
Photo Credit: Konrad Brattke Photography
Recipe Serves: 4-6
A Note from Chef Hernandez:
As an adventurous cook who delights in the experience of traveling to discover new flavors, this dish is my tribute to Mexico and Peru. You can find all of the ingredients at any Latin American supermarket.
Chef Hernandez prepared this dish for more than 1,000 guests at ¡Qué rico! Celebrating Latino Cuisine & Culture: The 31st Annual Chefs’ Tribute to Citymeals on Wheels on Monday, June 6th. The evening raised more than $900,000 to prepare and deliver nutritious meals for homebound elderly New Yorkers. Visit our Facebook page to see photos from the event.
- 1 pound dry flour chicharron
- ½ pound longaniza or chorizo
- ½ pound diced fresh tuna
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 diced avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup aji amarillo pepper
- 6 sliced radishes
- Fry the chicharrones until they are puffed and golden brown. Cook the longaniza and set aside.
- In a bowl add the tuna, onion, cilantro, lime juice, diced avocado, and longaniza. Mix all of the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Add the aji amarillo to taste (spicy or mild).
- Arrange the chicharrones on a large plate. Scoop the tuna mixture into each chicharron and garnish with the sliced radishes.